RE: [Xen-users] Replicating a live server on a domU

  • To: "Alexandru Florescu" <alex@xxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:27:07 +1100
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 17:27:48 -0700

> Hi,
>
> Has anybody ever stumbled upon the need to replicate a live and in
production
> server to a virtual machine?
>
> I'm trying to virtualize a bunch of servers but I can't figure out how
can I
> mirror the file system. I do not want to start from scratch with them.
>
> The whole idea is to transfer them to the virtual side as they
currently are.

I do this on a semi-regular basis as part of backup testing for clients
(eg to make sure that their backups are good). In theory you can just
clone the disk and possibly fiddle with the CriticalDeviceDatabase and
Services/xxx keys to ensure that the IDE driver can be used for booting.

James