[Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen-usersl] Xen 2.6.18.8 Kernel tree on Ubuntu Kamic

  • To: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
  • From: Tej <bewith.tej@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 17:48:58 +0530
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 04:19:43 -0800

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 11:14:40AM +0530, Tej wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Recently I have tried Xen 3.4.1 (even xen-unstable.hg) and Linux
>> 2.6.18.8 tree on new ubuntyu karmic koala.
>> I have tried this combination on different machine AMD64, intel i386,
>> but every time I boot process is stop at
>>
>> "Waiting for root file system" , After some time the promt drops to
>> initramfs shell.
>
> Well.. it either means the driver for your SATA controller is not
> loaded, the driver is misbehaving or the driver is too old to actually
> support the controller.

Fine.

>> I am sure the problem is not due to NOT selecting prooper SATA
>> controller or something ike that.....
>>

> You should enable/configure serial console and capture the full xen and
> dom0 kernel boot logs so we can see what's wrong..

I will try get boot logs ASAP, however i guess netconsole is a better option.

> that's the easiest way to troubleshoot the problem.
>
>> I have tried similar hardware configuration with Xen on Jaunty it
>> works without any problem.
>> I am just wondering why it is refusing to work on Karmic, possible reasons.
>> 1. gcc 4.4
>> 2. make version
>> 3. your thoughts please????
>>
>> I have tried pvops kernel, it works but I need 2.6.18.8 tree so any
>> thoughts???
>>

> Any particular reason for that?
>
> Have you considered the novell/opensuse forward-ported 2.6.18 patches for
> 2.6.3x?
>
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenDom0Kernels

Ok, I think I am not clearly spelling out the problem.

1. Xen with Linux 2.6.18.8 on AMD64 hardware. OS: Ubuntu Jaunty.
Everything is working fine.
2. Xen with Linux 2.6.18.8 on *Same* AMD64 hardware. OS: Ubuntu
Karmic. Boot process fails with error Waiting for filesystem

Difference between 1 and 2 are *only* OS. Nothing else same
configuration, same Hardware, same Kernel (however i didn't check with
particular revision).

Why problem exist, it could be GCC and Make new version??? or ???

Thanks
-tej