Re: [Xen-users] PCI-device passthrough to PV Guest is not working

On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 10:23:03PM +0530, Naveen BS wrote:
>    Hi,
>
>    I am running 2.6.18.8-xen kernel as Dom0 with xen 3.3.0. And DomU is PV
>    guest 2.6.31.3 paravirt_ops kernel. PCI-
>    Device passthrough to DomU is not working in this setup.
>
>    Some messages from Dmesg Output in DomU.
>
>     PCI: Fatal: No config space access function found
>     PCI: System does not support PCI
>     PCI: System does not support PCI
>     XENBUS: Device with no driver: device/pci/0
>     XENBUS: Device with no driver: device/console/0

upstream Linux kernel with pv_ops doesn't have pcifront support yet.

It was added to Jeremy's git tree a couple of days ago, but it's not
upstream yet.

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git;a=shortlog;h=xen/master

>    Also, I observe that ACPI and APICs are also disabled in DomU. Here are
>    relevant messages.
>     ACPI in unprivileged domain disabled.
>     ACPI: Interpreter disabled.
>     APIC: disable apic facility
>
>    Running lspci in DomU lists nothing.
>
>    What could be the problem? Is PCI-device passthrough to PV guest
>    (2.6.31.3) with xen-3.3.0 supported?
>    Do I need to try different version of xen/Kernel? or need to try applying
>    some patches?

linux-2.6.18.8-xen has pcifront support, so you could use that.

Or if you need more recent kernel in the guest, you could try applying
the novell/opensuse forward-ported xenlinux patches to 2.6.31.

Link here:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenDom0Kernels

(it talks about dom0 kernels but those patches also work for domU).

-- Pasi