Re: [Xen-users] swapless pvm

Dnia wtorek, 10 listopada 2009 o 13:22:14 Longina Przybyszewska napisaÅ(a):
> What is the best practice in creating PVm domU's - with or without swap?
>
> >From the admin point of view, especially in HA environment it is
> > temptating not to have
>
> a seperate swap partition.
>
> Could it be performance issue if swapping to swap-file insted of
> swap-partition?
>
> What about pure swapless- no swapfile, no swap-partition?
>
> Any expirence out there?
>
> regards
> Longina

Longina,

Swap partitions generally have better performance than swapfiles. Swapfile is
a file in a filesystem, and you access it with an extra overhead generated by
filesystem diver and filesystem structure.

I think, that the best practice is to create a number of LVM volumes and
marshall it to your virtual machine as virtual scsi partitions (/dev/sda1,
dev/sda2, ...) or xvd block devices. One of these volumes should be used as a
swap partition.

Regards, pozdrÃwka,

--
Bartosz Lis @ Inst. of Information Technology, Technical Univ. of Lodz, Poland