Re: [Xen-users] Re: Will pv-ops dom0-patched kernel be eventually merged into Linus Torvalds' mainline Linux kernel tree?

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 07:36:37AM -0800, Freddie Cash wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 10:27 PM, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
> <space.time.universe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > One of the reasons why I prefer Xen over KVM is because of networking.
> >
> > I have a Gigabit network card on my Intel DQ45CB motherboard. I don't see a
> > need to install an additional network card on my motherboard as PCI and PCIe
> > expansion slots are limited.
> >
> > In the case of Xen, the physical network interface in my host operating
> > system (dom0) and the virtual network interfaces in my guest operating
> > systems (domU) can be added to the same ethernet bridge on the host OS. This
> > implies that my host and virtual machines will have IP addresses in the same
> > subnet. Moreover, if I do not want to configure static IP addresses, my
> > virtual machines (VMs) can obtain IP adddresses from the DHCP server on
> > commercial routers like Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, etc, similar to the way
> > the physical network card on the host obtaining its IP address from the same
> > router.
> >
> > But, for the case of KVM, I need to setup an internal network for my guests.
>
> Bzzzt!  Incorrect.  KVM supports the exact same networking methods as
> Xen.  In fact, it's a lot simpler to setup bridged networking in KVM
> then in Xen, as KVM uses the default network configuration scripts of
> the host OS.
>
> In Debian, it's as simple as editing /etc/network/interfaces, creating
> the bridge configuration in there, and then pointing /etc/kvm/kvm-ifup
> to use that bridge.
>
> Xen 3.0 used to be this simple, and the bridge device was separate
> from the physical interface.  Then in Xen 3.2 everything changed, and
> it became a royal pain to configure as the physical interface was
> renamed, and the first interface with an IP was used as the bridge
> device, completely breaking setups where you have a management
> interface with an IP, and separate interfaces for the bridge(s).
> (Yes, I know it's possible to work around this, but it broke existing
> setups, and changed things for no good reason.)

With Xen, you can, and have always been able to, use your distro
provided network configuration scripts/methods.

Just disable the default Xen network-bridge script, and do it yourself.
No need to have Xen scripts do the renaming etc.

-- Pasi