Re: [Xen-users] difference between Xen and Dom0 kernel

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 3:09 AM, Bo Jiang <bjiang@xxxxxx> wrote:

> In summary, .config for the installation is really confusing.

Yeah :D

> Thus I’d really appreciate if Fajar could give us a working .config,

Sorry, I'm afraid I can't do that. The thing is, last time I compile a
dom0 kernel was probably several months ago. IMHO it's a hassle. Thus
I prefer to simply use RHEL5's kernel-xen RPM package, which works
perfectly for my needs.

If you're interested in compiling pv_ops kernel, Boris might be able
to help you better. For example,
http://bderzhavets.wordpress.com/2009/08/31/loading-xen-via-grub2-on-top-ubuntu-karmic-server-alpha-4/
(search for "make menuconfig").

If you're using 2.6.18 kernel, you can start with the default config,
or use RHEL's config as base.

> or some advice on the installation.

That, I can do :D

> P.S. I’m installing xen 3.4.1 on ubuntu 9.04/Intel Core2 6320, by compiling
> the source downloaded from http://www.xen.org/download/index_3.4.1.html. As
> Fajar mentioned, it’ll be easier to install on FC or RHEL, won’t it? Then
> Fajar, would you please tell me which distribution and which version you’re
> working on?

Actually RHEL/Centos is MUCH easier compared to FC or Ubuntu. Here's why:
- RHEL/Centos5 provides a well-maintained 2.6.18 kernel, with security
fixes and all. Installable using a simple "yum install kernel-xen". It
works for both dom0 and domU.
- http://www.gitco.de/repo/ maintains the lastest binary version of
Xen hypervisor/tools (3.4.2 is already available) for RHEL/Centos5,
making installation easy with yum. My system still uses 3.4.1 though.

Hope that helps.

--
Fajar