Re: [Xen-users] radeon/radeonhd issues with xen domU

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 10:34:32PM -0500, Dan McClung wrote:
> I have been trying to export my ATI HD4350 graphics card to a domU.
>
> The device is blocked in Dom0 using pciback along with a few other
> devices and is visible in DomU. All other pci devices work fine.

So you have a PV domU? I think all the people who have gotten VGA/Graphics
passthrough working have been using HVM guests with custom patched Xen.

Also you should be aware that passing through VGA/graphics adapter is
not as simple as normal PCI device.

VGA/Graphics adapters have other stuff than "just the PCI device"..
like legacy io-ports and memory ranges. Those need to be passed through aswell.
And the VGA BIOS needs to be executed in the guest.. which can be
difficult (or even impossible) in a PV guest..

So it might (and will) require extra patches to the Xen hypervisor and
possibly dom0 kernel to make it work.

Video about Xen VGA/Graphics passthrough to HVM guest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHUwg_zxYgw

-- Pasi