Re: [Xen-users] Re: Data Backup and Restore Scripts for your Xen Servers

  • To: Javier Guerra <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)" <space.time.universe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 03:45:32 +0800
  • Cc: space.time.universe@xxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Steven Anderson <hikenboot@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:46:45 -0800

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 9:04 AM, Javier Guerra <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Steven Anderson wrote:
>> I was trying to understand why one wouldnt use LV snapshots
>
> because it gives you a backup of a 'dirty' filesystem.  that is, a snapshot
> when it's mounted, and without any guarantees about all processes having
> flushed important data to disk.
>
> recovering from such a backup is to the system just like recovering from a
> 'pull the plug' event.  In most cases an fsck is enough and the (little) lost
> data is within reason for a catastrophic failure.  In other cases (usually
> when a busy database is involved), it's just not OK,  you could recover data
> that is totally inconsistent, maybe needing a complex analysis to bring it
> back to a reasonable state.
>
> IOW, it's better to use a 'normal' backup system, and be sure to get
> cooperation from any DB system.
>
> --
> Javier

Hi All,

I have tested both the backup and restore scripts by doing an actual
backup and restore operation on my computer.

For your convenience, I have attached the final backup and restore
scripts in this email.

--
Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) Dip(Mechatronics) BEng(Hons)(Mechanical
Engineering)