RE: [Xen-users] which desktop boards support Xen

  • To: "Tapas" <tapas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,<xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Robert Dunkley" <Robert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:31:22 -0000
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 05:35:09 -0800

Hi,

You will need a board and CPU with Intel or AMD virtualization tech if
you want to run Windows VMs. This is more or less available on all
current dual, tri and quad core AMDs and the vast majority of Intel Core
and all I5/I7 CPUs. Board wise AMD systems nearly always support
virtualizach but some older Intel Core2 boards do not. PCI pass
through support is also useful and is available on the server and
workstation chipsets from Intel (Including X58 and Q35) but only
available on the very new AMD SR56X0 chipset for AMD. More cores is very
useful for Xen so try to get at least a quad core CPU.

The Xen hypervisor will need about 512MB RAM for itself. You can then
allocate the RAM to your VMs depending on what they have to do so for
light use VMs 512MB would be enough for Linux and 1GB for Windows (Eg.
4GB could manage 2 Windows VMs and 3 Linux VMs in that config).

If you have a cpu and motherboard in mind then post links and we should
be able to tell you if it has virt tech and PCI passthrough support.

Rob