Re: [Xen-users] XenClient questions

On 27/11/2009 04:33, Tait Clarridge wrote:
On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 00:04 +0100, Jean Baptiste Favre wrote:
Hello everybody,
I'm trying to figure out how XenClient works. I would like to use it on
a Dell Latitude E6400 with plenty of memory so taht I can have both
Linux and Windows running at the same time.

Does it work the same way as "classical" Xen on servers (ie with Dom0
and DomU) ?
So, in order to install it, I'll have to set up a minimal Dom0, compile
32bits XenClient and then install DomU, right ?
For DomU installation, can I do it the same way as for servers (using
CDRom or PXE for example) ?

I'm sorry if it seems too easy for you, but I'm a bit confused with that.

Regards,
JB

Just took a quick glance at the citrix pages. I don't think that it is
what you think. I believe it is a component of a centrally managed
XenDesktop environment.

If you are thinking of it as something like VirtualBox, I don't think it
is what you are looking for.

Everyone: please correct me if I am wrong :)
From what I understood, XenClient allow me to have multiple OS running on the same hardware with direct access to, for example, graphic cards.
It has the same working scheme Xen server has, ie a Dom0 and multiple DomU.
With XenServer, I need to install Dom0 with a fully functionnal server OS. In my case, I mostly use Debian. Then, I have to custom this Debian installation to make Xen running.

My question is: do I need to install a Dom0 like XenServer, or will XenClient provide all what I need to run Dom0 ? In the second case, I'll only have to install XenClient, boot on it and install DomU.

For DomU installation, will I need to use PXE or CDROM based installation. If using CDROM, will I have a transparent access to physical CDROM or will I have to use a loop device with iso file ?
Regards,
JB