RE: [Xen-users] 2008 GPLPV + Sysprep /generalize

  • To: "Nathan O'Sullivan" <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 15:58:01 +1100
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 20:59:15 -0800

> Hello,
>
> I'm working on building my master 2008 template.  I can run "bcdedit
> /set testsigning on" and the GPLPV drivers work great - nice work
James
> Harper!
>
> I'm a bit new to working with Windows images, but it appears the
> standard thing to is to run "sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown" and
> then backup the image for later duplication.
>
> The problem comes with the /generalize flag, which Google seems to
tell
> me is needed to reset the internal Windows SID
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_identifier) but the /generalize
> flag also appears to reset the "bcdedit" change.
>
> I have also tried using the hacky ReadyDriver Plus, but it suffers the
> the same problem when combined with /generalize.
>
> Has anyone on the list encountered this issue before? Any advice on a
> solution or work-around ?

Is there an opportunity to run bcdedit after doing the sysprep? Or does
the system shut down at that point?

The guy from sysinternals wrote an article about why resetting the SID
is not necessary in almost all cases except for Domain Controllers -
http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2009/11/03/3291024.aspx
- I'm not sure I understand it all but if anyone would know, he would.
Sysprep /generalize does other things apart from resetting the SID
though so I don't know if you can do without it...

James