RE: [Xen-users] How do I get Windows licenses for virtual machines?

  • To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Nathan Eisenberg <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 14:08:09 -0800
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 14:09:02 -0800

Sounds like a buy/buyback program, a SPLA and Server 200x Web are a perfect
fit, then. :-)

For a SPLA - Essentially, you just track how many licenses of x you are using a
month, report that, and write a check.  Be careful with the tracking, though -
if they come audit you and your numbers are wrong, heaven help you!  You're
lucky, the monthly SPLA licensing cost for Web edition is like...
~$10.00/mo/proc/instance (as of a year ago, anyways).

Sadly, I don't have any example buyback contracts on hand as I don't encounter
this problem in my current line of business.  I doubt it's anything
particularly complex, though.

Best Regards,
Nathan Eisenberg