Re: [Xen-users] How to create windows xp guest on xen

  • To: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 15:47:57 +0700
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 00:48:40 -0800

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 02:24:25PM +0700, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Fasiha Ashraf <feehapk@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > Is it possible to create a windows xp paravirtual guest on xen?
>>
>> No.
>>

> Unless you ask Microsoft to port XP kernel to Xen PV model:)

Judging from the fact that XP was declared end of life several times,
and the fact that even Hyper-V requires VT to run, I highly doubt they
will ever create PV-enabled windows :P

To Fasiha: If your main concern is performance, you should be able to
increase it with PV drivers (like GPLPV). It still requires running
Windows as HVM (fully virtualized) domU though. While not as good as
PV domU, it's much better compared to QEMU-emulated drivers.

--
Fajar