From: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, 7 January 2010 5:26 AM
To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] changing behavior of xendomains stop

I'm running xen 3.1.2 as bastardized by RedHat on a redhat
clone operating system. I'm using the xendomains script
as it came out of the box to start my domU's at boot
and stop them at shutdown.

There are three problems right now:

1) left to its own devices,

service xendomains stop

attempts to do "xm save" on each of the domU's.  that
takes quite a bit of time and I don't actually want to
do that, I would be happy if it would just do an
"xm shutdown" on each.  It takes so much time, in
fact, that the watchdog process appears to be killing the
xm save before it coompletes.

1a) these images take up a lot of disk space that
I don't have.  If someone doesn't know what they are doing
and does a reboot on dom0 without doing "xm shutdown -a" first,
it fills the / disk and keeps it from rebooting. I am
presuming that the size of the image is in fact equal to the
memory footprint of the various domU's?

2) Xendomains is not left to its own devices, the
next thing to shut down is xen itself, and that leads
to partial save and a bunch of non-working xen images
stored in /var/lib/xen/save. that means things don't start
up clean on reboot.

Any advice on easy parameters to fix would be much appreciated.

Steve Timm

Have a look at /etc/sysconfig/xendomains. Here you can tweak the behaviour of
xendomains incl. doing a shutdown instead of save.

Matthias