Re: [Xen-users] GPL PV drivers

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 05:15:28PM -0800, Brian Krusic wrote:
> Hi james.
>
> Perhaps you can help me.
>
> So I have pic pass through working for an Nvidia card which is my 2nd
> graphics adapter.
>
> I wish to dedicate it to a particular domU.
>
> Besides adding the below line in my domU config file;
>
> pci = ['07:00.0']
>
> What else do I need to do before compiling Nvidia drivers (I found a
> few write ups that tell you how to do this) in that domU?

VGA/graphics pci passthrough is pretty much different from a 'normal'
PCI passthrough (NIC, disk controller/HBA, usb host, sound card).

VGA passthrough requires emulation of various legacy x86 memory ranges,
IO ports, and whatnot. It also requires re-execution of VGA adapter BIOS
in the guest.

Various people have gotten it working with xen-unstable (upcoming Xen 4.0)
but I think all of them needed some custom modified patches.

Intel guys have been working on VGA passthrough stuff.
See xen-devel mailinglist archives about Xen VGA passthrough.

-- Pasi