[Xen-users] vlan id configuration on domU on Xen

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Bhargava Ramu Kavati <ramu.kavati@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 12:51:53 +0530
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 23:22:35 -0800

Hi,
I am using the below procedure for vlan configuration with ethernet interface sharing on Xen.
i) configure vlan on interface that is to be shared.
   vconfig add ethx 5
ii) Call the below script from xend-config file.
    dir=$(dirname "$0")
    "$dir/network-bridge" "$@" netdev=ethx.5 vifnum=0 bridge=xenbr0V5
iii) Use the bridge created above in VM's config file.
iv) Ping from all the VMs (to which ethx.5 is shared) to external host (which is already in vlan id 5) succeeds.
If we want to verify the same scenario on ESXi, first vswitch needs to be configured with vlan id 4095 and the VM need to be configured with vlan id 5 ("vconfig add ethx 5" on VM).  Then ping from VM to external host (already in vlan id 5) succeeds.
Whereas in case of Xen, we did not configure the VM's interface using "vconfig add".  We just attached VM's interface to xenbr created.

Can you please clarify why the approach is different on Xen when compared to ESXi.  Is there any design/security related issue here on Xen?
Thank you in advance.....

Thanks & Regards,
Ramu