Re: [Xen-users] ntpd under Xen Dom0 exhibits extremely high jitter/noise? runs stable/quiet under non-xen kernel.

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 10:06:26AM -0800, mail ignored wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > You can use this for xen.gz in grub.conf:
> > dom0_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin
>
> booting to,
>
>     kernel /xen.gz ... dom0_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin sched=credit ...
>
> i check,
>
>  xm list
>   Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs
> State   Time(s)
>   Domain-0                                     0  1022     4     r-----
> 79.4
>
>  xm vcpu-list Domain-0
>   Name                                ID  VCPU   CPU State   Time(s)
> CPU Affinity
>   Domain-0                             0     0     0   -b-      37.4 0
>   Domain-0                             0     1     1   -b-      13.0 1
>   Domain-0                             0     2     2   r--      21.6 2
>   Domain-0                             0     3     3   -b-      15.1 3

.. so something went wrong. You should only see 1 vcpus for dom0 now.

> but,
>
>  xm vcpu-set --help
>   Usage: xm vcpu-set <Domain> <vCPUs>
>
>   Set the number of active VCPUs for allowed for the domain.
>
> then,
>
>  xm vcpu-set Domain-0 1
>  xm vcpu-list Domain-0
>
>  (locks up the ssh session ... no response)
>
> ssh in another session, try again,
>
>  xm vcpu-list Domain-0
>
>  (locks up the ssh session ... no response)
>

> so, not sticking across boot ... and this odd lockup. thoughts?

What dom0 kernel you were running again? I can't remember anymore.
Looks like it didn't like when cpus were removed on-the-fly.

-- Pasi