Re: [Xen-users] Problem with Debian for create machine virtual from Centos

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 05:25:34PM -0200, Bruno Steven wrote:
>    Hi...
>    My name is Bruno I want congratulation all of group.
>    My first  question about XEN . I have Centos with XEN installed.  I am
>    trying make an virtual machine Debian using virt-install, my options are:
>    [root@xen opt]# virt-install
>    What is the name of your virtual machine? Debian
>     How much RAM should be allocated (in megabytes)? 256
>     What would you like to use as the disk (file path)?
>    /xen-lvm/debian-vm02/Debian-disk.img
>     How large would you like the disk (/xen-lvm/debian-vm02/Debian-disk.img)
>    to be (in gigabytes)? 10
>     Would you like to enable graphics support? (yes or no) no
>     What is the install location? /media/cdrom

virt-manager or virt-install don't support installing Xen PV guests from
a CD/DVD/.iso, they can only be installed from network.

>    So show start the message erro
>    Starting install...
>    Could not find an installable distribution at '/media/cdrom'
>    Domain installation may not have been
>     successful.  If it was, you can restart your domain
>     by running 'virsh start Debian'; otherwise, please
>     restart your installation.
>    Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:22:27 ERROR    Could not find an installable
>    distribution at '/media/cdrom'
>    Traceback (most recent call last):
>      File "/usr/sbin/virt-install", line 502, in ?
>        main()
>      File "/usr/sbin/virt-install", line 462, in main
>        dom = guest.start_install(conscb,progresscb)
>      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 811, in
>    start_install
>        self._prepare_install(meter)
>      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/virtinst/ParaVirtGuest.py", line
>    56, in _prepare_install
>        self._installer.prepare(guest = self, meter = meter)
>      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/virtinst/DistroManager.py", line
>    239, in prepare
>        self._prepare_kernel_and_initrd(guest, distro, meter)
>      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/virtinst/DistroManager.py", line
>    209, in _prepare_kernel_and_initrd
>        distro = distro)
>      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/virtinst/DistroManager.py", line
>    122, in acquireKernel
>        progresscb=progresscb, distro=distro, scratchdir=scratchdir)
>      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/virtinst/DistroManager.py", line
>    101, in _storeForDistro
>        raise ValueError, _("Could not find an installable distribution at
>    '%s'" % baseuri)
>    ValueError: Could not find an installable distribution at '/media/cdrom'
>
>    Why XEN don't continues installation ? There is incompatibilities between
>    Centos 5.4 and guest Debian 5.0 ?
>    Ok.

So you need to specify --hvm if you want to install Xen HVM (fully
virtualized/emulated)
guest from a CD/DVD/.iso.

-- Pasi