Re: [Xen-users] ntpd under Xen Dom0 exhibits extremely high jitter/noise? runs stable/quiet under non-xen kernel.

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 3:23 AM, mail ignored <0.bugs.only.0@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is continuing to work with/on getting RHEL/CentOS 5 kernel-xen to boot
> of any particular use/value to _this_ issue, given the successful
> build/boot on xen.git's pvops kernel (results posted above)?

It's basically like this: The "stable", officially supported kernel
version for xen as of now is still 2.6.18. When you encounter possible
kernel-related problems, it's usually best to check if the problem is
present when using that kernel version. If it works, then you have one
quick workaorund: simply use 2.6.18 kernel. I recommended RHEL/Centos5
kernel since it's well maintained in terms of security fixes.

pv_ops and suse's xen kernel is based on newer kernel version. pv_ops
will be the next official xen kernel, but currently it still have some
bugs on it. For me it was the combination of suspend/resume and cpu
hotplug. There were also problems with iperf (search list archive).
Some of the bugs may take a long time to fix.

So now the question becomes how quickly you need to solve this issue.
If you can live with it, then I suggest focus all efforts on fixing
pv_ops kernel (since you said that novell guys are unable to find the
problem). If you need it to work quickly, then you should try testing
2.6.18 kernel, to the point of adding an extra disk or reinstalling
your OS.

--
Fajar