[Xen-users] Networking stops working for no apparent reason

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Arik Raffael Funke <arik@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 20:47:32 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 11:48:30 -0800

Hi,

I have a Xen system with two NICs. One is delegated to domU which serves as router (for an adsl modem) and one is bridged between the router domU, and the physical local net (including dom0).

Or: adsl NIC --- domU(router) --- xenbr (NIC2) --- internal net & dom0

This was working quite well for two weeks, however, for no apparent reason the networking has become very unstable over the last few days. There are no obvious error messages in either dom0 or domU but when I try pinging from the router domU to either dom0 or other domUs, I only get "Network unreachable.". Connections on the adsl NIC are still ok.

This is weird, as the system might run for a a day or two - or only minutes. Shutting down domUs, networking, xend, libvirtd, etc and restarting has no effect. Only restarting the entire system helps.

I am using Centos 5.4 with gitco xen hypervisor 3.4 and xenlinux 2.6.18.8 on the router domU.

I would appreciate any hints on how to go about debugging the xen network. For all I can see it "should" to work just fine...

Many thanks,
Arik