Re: [Xen-users] 32bit or 64bit dom0?

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 09:09:00AM -0800, Grant McWilliams wrote:
>        > Â  Â  Â -- Pasi
>        >
>        > Â  Â That depends one whether you consider (up to) 20% worth
>        considering! I'd
>        > Â  Â be willing to change for 5%.
>        >
>        > Â
>        Â [3][1]http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=616&num=1
>        >

>        Hmm.. did you paste wrong url? That url only has 32b vs. 64b?
>
>        Here's 32b vs. 32b PAE benchmark:
>        [2]http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_32_pae
>
>        Although that benchmark must have something wrong with the 32 vs 64
>        numbers..
>        the different can't be THAT big.
>
>        "In the fourteen tests for this article we did not find using Ubuntu's
>        32-bit PAE kernel
>        to have a dramatic performance impact whether it be positive or
>        negative.
>
>        Granted, we were using just 4GB of system memory that is common to
>        many desktops,
>        but if using 8GB, 16GB, or even a greater memory capacity the
>        performance
>        penalties are perhaps higher. "
>        -- Pasi
>
>      Yes I did! Thanks. Here try this.
>
>      [3]http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_32_pae&num=1
>      Grant McWilliams
>
>    I either posted two quick or too late! So the quote was saying that PAE
>    didn't have an impact over a stock 32 bit kernel
>    but if you compare it to the 64 bit kernel there's a serious hit. In the
>    tests they did the 64 bit kernel was faster by quite a bit
>    in every way. I've blindly been using 64 bit kernels wherever possible but
>    this helps me know that I've benefited from it.

That "Apache Benchmark" must be wrong, THAT huge difference can't be true.

But yeah, in general 64b should be faster nowadays compared to 32b or 32b PAE,
since it has a lot more registers to use etc..

32b vs 32b PAE doesn't seem to be big difference, at least not with 4 GB of RAM.
Also PAE gives you possibility to use NX protection..

-- Pasi