Re: [Xen-users] slow network with gplpv drivers in vlan setup

Hello Pasi, James

How identical is identical? Are you able to determine the exact chipset
and firmware version of the network adapters? Even if you bought the two
servers from the same supplier at exactly the same time, there is still
a chance that there is some hardware difference, most likely firmware.

ethtool -i<interface>  in dom0 might show the firmware version.

like this:

# ethtool -i eth0
driver: e1000e
version: 1.0.2-k2
firmware-version: 5.11-8
bus-info: 0000:04:00.0

So on the Dell Workstation with a broadcom card where I witnessed yesterday the problem I have:
ethtool -i eth1
driver: tg3
version: 3.92.1
firmware-version:
bus-info: 0000:02:00.0

ethtool -k eth1
Offload parameters for eth1:
Cannot get device flags: Operation not supported
rx-checksumming: on
tx-checksumming: on
scatter-gather: on
tcp segmentation offload: on
udp fragmentation offload: off
generic segmentation offload: on
large receive offload: off

eth1 is the physical interface supporting the vlan99 device which is in the bridge for the windows servers.

On the other side on the 2 servers where I witnessed before the problem with the same image (I copied the image on the second server to be sure when I discovered a difference of behavior between the two servers) I have this:

"Good" server
ethtool -i eth1
driver: e1000e
version: 0.3.3.3-k2
firmware-version: 2.1-12
bus-info: 0000:04:00.1

ethtool -k eth1
Offload parameters for eth1:
Cannot get device flags: Operation not supported
rx-checksumming: on
tx-checksumming: on
scatter-gather: on
tcp segmentation offload: on
udp fragmentation offload: off
generic segmentation offload: on
large receive offload: off

"Bad server"
ethtool -i eth1
driver: e1000e
version: 0.3.3.3-k2
firmware-version: 2.1-12
bus-info: 0000:04:00.1

ethtool -k eth1
Offload parameters for eth1:
Cannot get device flags: Operation not supported
rx-checksumming: on
tx-checksumming: on
scatter-gather: on
tcp segmentation offload: on
udp fragmentation offload: off
generic segmentation offload: on
large receive offload: off

Oh, and also "ethtool -k ethX" to get the dom0 offloading settings.

Matthieu.