[Xen-users] Windows XP domU reboots dom0 too

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: headhunter_unit23 <atatut@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 05:21:39 -0800 (PST)
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 05:22:16 -0800

Computer: Asus EeePC 1101HA
OS: Gentoo x86 linux-2.6.29-gentoo-r6
Xen: linux-2.6.29-xen-r4

Hi,

I have a problem with Xen running on the Asus EeePC 1101HA:

domU: Windows XP Pro SP2 (then SP3)
Software reboot from domU: reboot XP from inside the domU causes dom0 to
reboot too!
domU reboot from dom0: xm reboot, reboots domU without problem, dom0 is
unaffected
domU shutdown from dom0: xm shutdown, shuts down domU without problem, dom0
is unaffected

more confusing:

domU: pfSense 1.2.3
Software reboot from domU: reboot pfSense from inside the domU doesnât
affect dom0
domU reboot from dom0: xm reboot, reboots the domU without problem, dom0 is
unaffected
domU shutdown from dom0: xm shutdown, shuts down domU but dom0 network seems
to go to sleep and needs 1 minute to come back to life on its own.

/var/log/messages

shows nothing weird, but I may not see the subtle error among the logs

The system bellow has no such issues:

Motherboard: Supermicro X8SAX
OS: Gentoo x86_64 linux-2.6.29-gentoo-r5
Xen: linux-2.6.18-xen-r12

I googled and visited gentoo and xen forums, but just found the following
thread about such issue:

http://www.mail-archive.com/xen-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg02942.html

which is sadly empty of solution.

I must admit, I donât really know where to go now;

- Is it the NIC driver (03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology
Corp. Atheros AR8132 / L1c Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev c0)) inside the xen
kernel linux-2.6.29-xen-r4 causing this?
- Is it the xen kernel linux-2.6.29-xen-r4 itself that causes this?
- Is it the xen 32bit kernel that causes this?
- Is the domU config file causing this?

on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot   = 'restart'
on_crash    = 'restart'

and I need to change something there?

I hope somebody already had this issue and found the solution, thanks in
advance for your help.