Re: [Xen-users] second NIC MAC address for domU

Jonathan M. McCune wrote:

I have a server with two NICs running Xen 3.2 from Debian Lenny (eth0 and eth1). I'm wondering what the best method is to effectively dedicate eth1 to a particular domU. I have an existing DHCP entry for the MAC address of eth1, so assigning a different MAC to the virtual NIC in my domU and bridging that to eth1 within dom0 is an issue for me. I tried assigning the identical MAC address to my domU in the vif line in its config file. tcpdump in dom0 suggests that the DHCP requests are making it out onto the network, but the DHCP replies don't seem to be getting through to the domU.

Either use pciback.hide to make the hardware directly available to the guest, or ...

Create a bridge, so you'll end up with a physical device, and the Dom0 virtual device attached. Then attached a virtual interface for the guest to this bridge. The Dom0 doesn't need to have an IP address on the bridge, but you do need to bring up the interface (ip link set up dev ... IIRC) for it to pass traffic.

--
Simon Hobson

WANTED: "Software CD ROM Kit" for Canon CLBP 360-PS printer (Canon part no RH6-3612, or possibly RH6-3810, or RH6-3610 might do). I've a dead HD and need this CD so I can replace the disk and re-install the printer OS on it. If anyone knows where I might get hold of one I'd be grateful - requests to Canon drew a blank, it's been out of support for years. Alternatively, if anyone has one of these and would let me image their hard disk ...