Re: [Xen-users] Dom0 Crash - High Network Load - Debian Lenny Xen 3.2-1

-------- Original message --------
From: Thaddeus Hogan <thaddeus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 05/11/2009 17.01
I'm looking for a place to start with a problem I am having where I think
high network load is crashing my Xen host. Any help you can offer is
greatly appreciated!

I started having an issue with my dom0 crashing when under very high
network load. I discovered this when I ran a large backup (1.7 TB) on a
domU.

I had a similar problem last month. I'm running a Debian Lenny dom0 with 3 Lenny domUs. Kernel 2.6.26 and all software packages are Lenny releases. I use Bacula for backups on a DAT 72 tape device. Dom0 is running Bacula storage daemon, which manage the DAT device itself. If I run a domU backup (Bacula file daemon running in domU and sending data to dom0 over IP, Xen bridged networking) the system becomes unstable after several minutes of backup. Sometimes dom0 crashes and reboots. Sometimes domUs IP network stops working.
If I don't perform domU backup the system is stable.
If I run a backup of another computer (Bacula file daemon running on a Windows box), Lenny computer remains stable. So I suppose issue is related to higher disk activity when Bacula file daemon is running in domU. Dom0 and DomUs share the same physical disk, a SATA soft raid5 array. When I run a backup of a Windows computer data is sent to Bacula storage daemon in dom0 via IP ethernet network and Bacula storage daemon writes that data on tape. I didn't have time to investigate further, cause I needed the system working for production. I solved this issue installing Xen 3.4 (back-ported from Debian Squeeze) and Suse Linux Enterprise 11 kernel (http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenDom0Kernels) on dom0 only. Be aware that on Suse kernel some Xen networking features are compiled as modules, so you need to load them before starting domUs.