[Xen-users] XCP java console bug

I addressed this with Dave informally, but, since it seem other people are running into it, I thought I'd bring it up here officially.

The symptom of the bug is that you cannot make a java console connection to a virtual machine running on a slave, only ones running on the pool master. Behavior when trying to connect to a VM console on a slave is a blank window and no java applet started.

This problem shows up most vividly when creating a new VM. After creating the VM on the pool master, XCPs behavior is to start the new VM on one of the slaves. This means you're stuck with a VM that can't be accessed via console to complete the install process and can't be migrated, since the OS and PV drivers aren't installed yet.

Why does this problem only show up on VMs created on shared storage? VMs created on local storage can't be started on any other host than the one they were created on, so they remain on the pool master. Local vs shared storage is simply a side effect of the bug.

Temporary workaround is to make sure that all new VMs start on the pool-master only, vm-start on=(pool master host uuid).

Vern

--
Vern Burke

SwiftWater Telecom