[Xen-users] Installing from source (git, hg) on a fresh debian box

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Brandon Lamb <brandonlamb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 16:54:00 -0800
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 16:55:22 -0800

Oye 3 days on this now, my head hurts. I have spent what seems like 40
hours in the last 3 or 4 days reading, and I realize xen is in the
middle of this transition of getting into mainline kernel, issues with
dom0 etc etc.

Ok, so i have come across a few howtos/tutorials on installing xen
dom0 kernel, using git to download a patched? kernel tree, and getting
xen source from mercurial. Below is my steps for trying to install
this, can someone tell me if I am missing something, have a step out
of order or whats going on?

1) Clean install of debian squeeze, update apt-sources to include
lenny and sid repos

2) apt-get install build-essential mercurial gawk zlib1g zlib1g-dev
libzzip-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev xorg-dev gettext libncurses5-dev
python2.5-dev texinfo texlive-latex-base texlive-latex-recommended
texlive-fonts-extra texlive-fonts-recommended transfig bridge-utils
uuid-dev easygit gitk bcc vim-full ssh chkconfig ntpdate openntpd
kernel-package module-assistant pkg-config libgnutls-dev libpci-dev
randomize-lines gcc gcc g++ make patch libssl-dev bzip2 gettext python
libjpeg62-dev libx11-dev libgcrypt11-dev bin86 libsdl1.2-dev libc6-dev
xen-linux-system-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 dstat ifenslave vnc4server ethtool
bison flex

3) git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git
linux-2.6-xen
cd linux-2.6-xen
git reset --hard
git checkout -b xen/stable origin/xen/stable
git pull
make menuconfig
make -j4 bzImage
make -j4 modules
make -j4 modules_install
cp -a .config /boot/config-2.6-xen
cp -a System.map /boot/System.map-2.6-xen
cp -a arch/x86/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xen

I set ext2, ext3, ext4 to be included NOT modules.

4) Attempt to create initrd
xen1:/usr/src/deb# mkinitramfs -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6-xen 2.6-xen
W: kernel 2.6-xen too old for initramfs on
W: not generating requested initramfs for kernel 2.6-xen

This creates a 0 byte initrd-2.6-xen which I can delete, run
update-grub2 and if I try to boot that kernel get a kernel panic, vfs
cant mount root fs on unknown-blockdev (or something really close).

I imagine that is because there is no initrd to load drivers for the
hardware/fs or whatnot from?

I dont understand why trying to run mkinitramfs says the kernel is too
old. Is there perhaps something in the .config that I need to change
or AHHHH...

Anyway, thank you for any insight someone may be able to provide. I
keep re-reading the same google results over and over with no help.