[Xen-users] Xen causes hang when reboot or shutdown.

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: 신용진 <akayong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 15:32:00 +0900
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 23:33:29 -0700

I am trying to make xen-virtualization system

My machine is

CPU : Intel Xeon E5520 * 2
RAM : DDR3 1333 2GB * 6
HDD : 500GB SATA * 4 (RAID 10)

CentOS5.3 Kernel 2.6.27.29-0.1.1 (original was 2.6.18-128 and I upgraded)

Xen 3.4.2  (http://www.gitco.de/repo/GITCO-XEN3.4.2_x86_64.repo)

When I boot my computer, it shows some messages like below;

Starting xend: Nothing to flush

FATAL : Module netloop not found

FATAL : Module netlbk not found,

FATAL : Module blkbk not found,

FATAL : Module blktap not found,

And when I reboot It starts to hang.

As I surveyed, from Xen 3.3 and later, we should install above modules in Xen-kernel, not separate modules.

So I set those modules install in xen-kernel.

(I mean, when we set menuconfig (make menuconfig), it should be [*], not [M])

However, when I look through the /etc/init.d/xend source, they have modprobe sentence.

So I changed all those modules as <M> in menuconfig.

After this, netloop and netbk was installed, however, blkbk and blktap was not installed.

So, I installed netloop and net bk as Module, and blkbk and blktap in xen-kernel.

The, I boot my computer, it shows some messages like below;

Starting xend: Nothing to flush

FATAL : Module blkbk not found,

FATAL : Module blktap not found,

And when I reboot, it starts to hang again!

After that, I commented out modprobe blkbk and modprobe blktap in /etc/init.d/xend file., then it doesnt show those messages,

However, it hangs again.

When I boot my machine without xend, then it does not show hang.

And I did googling and I found that other people have same problem like me, and it is caused by blktap.

And some people give some solutions and patch for blktap, however, those kernel version or xen version is different from mine, So I could not apply them to my computer.

Follows are links that I referenced

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-01/msg00146.html

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-01/msg01152.html

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenDom0Kernels

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git;a=shortlog;h=xen/master;pg=0

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git;a=shortlog;h=xen/master;pg=4

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.devel/78670

Is there any solution or patch files for this problem?