Re: [Xen-users] Re:Xen with Debian Power Edge R710

  • To: Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Costas Drogos <costas.drogos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:45:54 +0200
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 04:47:27 -0700

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 08:53, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My problem is I want to install Debian on Nehalem Processor I have a
> Dell Power Edge R710 machine to test Virtualization on it but I am not
> clear with which architecture should I download the DVD is it AMD64,or
> i386 since
> Âas far as I know this processor uses EMT64 instructions which are
> similar for AMD machine also it Âhas Intel ÂXeon Â5500 series
> processors I googled debian for xeon Âgot a link
> [url]http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/ia64-or-amd64-xeon-352008/[/url]
> but this has not helped much the intel link which it redirects to
> [url]http://developer.intel.com/technology/64bitextensions/[/url]
> does not exists.
> Had a look on the following link also which is relevant to my problem.
> So my problem is I need to install Debian on the above machine which
> architecture should I download the DVD for?
> Some one who has already installed please let me know which
> architecture have they used.
>
> --
> Tapas

Hello there,
In my job we have two R710s with XEN/Debian amd64 with ~25 domUs each
and they work like a charm.
Debian stable kernel (2.6.26) & hypervisor (3.2)

Have in mind that the Debian installer does not have the firmware for
the network card (in case you use an netinstall cd) and you have to
plug a usb flash with it, when asked during the installation.

ia64 needs an Itanium processor. You can install amd64 or x86 architectures.

--
Costas Drogos