Re: [Xen-users] Recovering resources from old guests

Thanks.  However, I tried to get rid of one of them, made sure it wasn't running, removed the disk image and then removed the config file.  I ran a vgdisplay before and after and I didn't gain the disk space back that I should have.  Any thoughts?

Thanks again

##### Before I removed the disk image #####
 --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               vmvol01
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        2
  Metadata Sequence No  38
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                18
  Open LV               7
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                2
  Act PV                2
  VG Size               455.99 GB
  PE Size               4.00 MB
  Total PE              116734
  Alloc PE / Size       56832 / 222.00 GB
  Free  PE / Size       59902 / 233.99 GB
  VG UUID               s96CmA-1d2x-O1Oo-rrCr-M7n6-dvRQ-AEJjcI

##### After I removed the disk image #####

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 3:55 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha <fajar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 4:27 AM, Caleb Call <caleb@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We currently have several old guests that we are removing from the inventory
> and recovering their resources.  I've ran in to a minor (probably very
> simple) issue.  Instead of using logical volumes like the rest of our
> guests, these ones are using tap:aio:  The main question is, is there
> anything special I need to do to reclaim the resources from these disks, or
> is it as simple as just deleting these images?

That's pretty much it. Make sure the guest is not running, then you
can delete the file images.

>  My second(ary) question is,
> what is tap:aio:?  I've been searching but have been unable to find
> anything definitive on what they are.  Is it just a disk image used by Xen,
> or is there something special about it?  How is a tap:aio: disk created,
> etc?

The image itself is basically just a raw disk image. What makes
tap:aio:/ different from file:/ (or manually creating loopback
devices) is that tap:aio is supposed to be more reliable and have
better performance, not effected by dom0 caching effect, thus reducing
possible data loss.  This is different from (for example) tap:qcow,
which uses its own (not raw) file format. See
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/blktap for details

--
Fajar