Re: [Xen-users] XCP, creating a metric and looking for input

Hi Verne,

Am Samstag, den 10.04.2010, 20:56 -0400 schrieb Vern Burke:
> Greetings all:
>     I'm sitting here on a Saturday night (life in the fast lane) working
> on putting together good blended host and virtual machine metrics for
> the upcoming load balancer so I thought I'd ask for some input from the
> crowd :).

;-)

> My experience is that, at least on my cloud, I'm far more likely to
> overload memory than CPU. In fact, as far as I can tell, I've never been
> able to even significantly load the CPUs on any of my (admittedly older)
> servers (2 are 2x Opteron, 2 are 2x dual core Opteron), even with a
> pretty hefty load of VMs running.

So you ever had supreme software :-)

> My question is, for those of you running as a real cloud (no funky
> specialized hardware passthroughs in the server, etc), have you ever
> been able to significantly load or overload your cpus before running out
> of memory?

Sure - every Software brings potential risk with it. Coding-Errors could
lead to such a behaviour.

>  The reason for this question is that I'm establishing
> weighting for the relative importance of the components of the metric.

Sounds interesting. Is there any docs or whatever about your goals,
techniques and thoughts?

there a nice work: http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/ETD/image/etd2755.pdf

some useful infos, can be found here, too: http://lbvm.sourceforge.net/

> TIA!