Re: [Xen-users] Online resize of guest disks without reboot/shutdown ?

On Tuesday 13 April 2010 16:27:44 Nick Couchman wrote:
> Unfortunately functionality like this requires end-to-end supports for this
>  change.  Not only do you need to be able to extend the backend device
>  (lvextend, like you did), you need Xen to see it (probably the feature you
>  mentioned), you need the guest kernel to see it, and you need the
>  filesystem to be able to expand.  Getting the guest kernel to see the
>  change has always been the tricky piece, as the kernel usually locks this
>  information in and you have to reboot for it to reread the information.
>  However, I saw some patches recently for the Linux kernel that allow for
>  on-the-fly resizing of disks, and I think I actually tried it with some
>  amount of success.  I wish I still had the links - I would point you in
>  the direction of them.

The patches for the Linux Kernel have been included in the latest Suse patch-
set.
One thing with these is, though, that the new size isn't noticed by the guest
untill you actually access the disk.
A "ls" on the mount is sufficient for this.

> Other guest operating systems will vary on whether they support this or
>  not.  Windows is usually pretty good about detecting size changes for
>  disks and allowing you to expand the filesystem.  Other O/Ss will vary.

I doubt MS Windows will notice this change as it requires Driver-support in
the guest-OS for this to work.

--
Joost