RE: [Xen-users] [SEMI-SOLVED] XenSerialConsole help + GRUB2 (Machine locks up on boot)

> Thu, 15 Apr 2010 21:01:29 +0300 <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 11:42:59AM -0400, Mike Viau wrote:

> > > Please paste your grub.conf again.
> > >

> > Attached is grub.cfg.
> >
> > Please notice:
> >
> > menuentry "Xen 4.0.0 / PVOPS 2.6.32-4-xen-amd64 with a serial console" {
> > insmod ext2
> > set root=(hd2,1)
> > search --fs-uuid --set 13f83e98-6e2e-48a5-992e-b266d17bbfd3
> > multiboot /xen.gz dom0_mem=2048M loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all sync_console
> > console_to_ring com1=115200,8n1,0x1000,0 console=com1
> > module /vmlinuz-2.6.32-4-xen-amd64
> > root=UUID=a8129b5a-f8cc-460e-bda4-93cc547b9f7e ro console=hvc0
> > earlyprintk=xen
> > module /initrd.img-2.6.32-4-xen-amd64
> > }
> >

> > I have tried using both 0x1000 and 0x1008 with IRQ 21 and 22 and 0
> >

> So do you now get Xen hypervisor boot messages?

Yes! And I have access to the hyper-visor by hitting ctrl+a three times.

> > [4]http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/DP55WG/DP55WG-overview.htm

> > [6](http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1431863&CatId=1422)

> > (without

> > for

> > driver?

> > for
> > MCS9865

> > into
> > >
> > > Yeah, sure, try it.
> >
> > What driver (name or module name) do you suggest I start with. Another
> > system has drivers like:
> >
> > 8250_accent.ko 8250_exar_st16c554.ko 8250_hub6.ko
> > jsm/ serial_cs.ko
> > 8250_boca.ko 8250_fourport.ko 8250_mca.ko
> > max3100.ko
> >
> > What about serial_cs.ko?
> >
> > [1]http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=serial_cs.ko&meta=&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=6909149b0ecd8aa
> >
> > > I don't know more about the serial card you have.

> > that
> > dom0

> > /dev/ttyS[?]
> > dmesg
> > > >

> > > Real serial ports are available without any drivers, at boot time before
> > Linux is loaded.
> > > Xen needs to log to the serial port before _any_ drivers are loaded,
> > even before dom0 Linux is loaded.
> > >

> > So the serial line use by grub 'taps' into real serial ports only right?
> > So is a driver even needed at all if all the details such as I/O address,
> > IRQ, speed, etc are provided in the grub configuration?
> >
> > Many there is a hardware limitation I am unaware or blind to see?
> >
> > > It's the same with USB-serial-adapters.. you can't use those for serial
> > console
> > > because they don't work before the driver is loaded.
> > >
> > > But yeah.. good luck!
> > >
> > > -- Pasi
> > >

> > As the subject says "semi-solved."
> >
> > Used the patch found here:
> >
> > http://marc.info/?l=linux-serial&m=124975806304760
> >
> > 8250_pci: add support for MCS9865
> >
> > So lesson learned Pasi, a kernel driver must be compiled with the running
> > kernel in order to capture boot messages from it. The driver does not load
> > from the bootloader or from grub itself.
> >

> Ok. All the Serial Consoles I've used so far haven't required special/additional drivers.

The required kernel/drivers/serial options must have been compiled in the kernel .config then. It makes life much simpler when that is the case...

-M

Videos that have everyone talking! Now also in HD! MSN.ca Video.