Re: [Xen-users] pci device not owned by pciback.

Hi James,

>> Error: pci: improper device assignment specified: pci: 0000:0e:04.0 must
>> be co-assigned to the same guest with 0000:0e:04.0, but it is not owned
>> by pciback.
What Xen version are you using? Are you using a pvops based kernel? Or a
'classic' xen kernel based on 2.6.18+patches?
Are you sure it mentions the exact same id twice? It is more likely to
report two almost identical ids, with a small difference in the last
digit... (e.g. 0000:0e:04.1 must be co-assigned with 0000:0e:04.0)

>> How do I make this card owned by pciback on reboot. Do I need to use the
>> hide parameter on the kernel line on boot?
>
> It says to add something like this to the module line:
> pciback.hide=(01:00.0)(00:02.0)
For older kernel versions, you should use the command as stated above. For
newer versions, the module is renamed to xen-pciback, and you'd state:
xen-pciback.hide=(01:00.0)(00:02.0)

> This page talks about VT and my domU is a PV. Does this same pciback
> apply?
Hiding is the same for VTd and for PV. However, the 'co-assigned' error
message is typical for VTd, it doesn't allow devices on the same PCI bus
to be divided over more than one vm.
If you are passing through a single device to a PV machine, and xen gives
you the above mentioned 'co-assigned' error, it is probably due to a bug
in xen (which appeared a while ago, but has since been fixed).

Regards,
Mark