Re: [Xen-users] HMV domU creating Tap device?!

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 8:55 PM, Robbie Garertt <rgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have a script that sets up MRTG to collect bandwidth for the VM's based on
> there vm name.  This is done via the domain config vif =
> ['vifname='Testing',] line and mrtg collects all data on a network card
> named Testing.
>
> My issue here is that for a HVM domain...  there are two interfaces that are
> being created. One Testing and another tab$number.0 where $number is the
> domain id upon creation. It would appear that the domU uses the tap$number.0
> device and not Testing.
>
> Any idea how I can get rid of the tap$number.0 device and have it use the
> Testing device for network usage?

Use PV drivers (like http://www.meadowcourt.org/downloads/) for
Windows, it should automatically use the vif interface (the one you
set a name on domU config file).

For Linux (and possibly others), you might end up with two devices:
One identifies itself as realtek card, the other uses xen-vnif driver.
You need to make sure the one with xen-vnif is used. See
http://pastebin.com/fb6fe631 for example (I blacklisted realtek
modules to do that).

--
Fajar