Re: [Xen-users] Install ubunto domU

Ubuntu now has a fully PV xen aware netboot installer available, so installing HVM and doing a "conversion" isnt necessary.

As for how to make virt-install work with this, i'm not so sure. I'm assuming its using a debootstrap style install.

On 12 May 2010 21:43, Boris Derzhavets <bderzhavets@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Create Lucid HVM via virt-install and load same image via pygrub,
without switching /boot/grub/grub.cfg to no UUID mode on HVM

Boris.

--- On Wed, 5/12/10, Nuno L. Ferreira <nunolf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Nuno L. Ferreira <nunolf@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Install ubunto domU
To: "xen-users" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 3:48 PM

Dear *,

I'm more used to work with RedHat like OSes. Still, I did not denied the request from a user who wants a domU based on ubunto. I usually use virt-install to do the job, with a script similar to this one:

#!/bin/sh
BASE=SL-4.7-i386-pv \
virt-install --nographics     \
             --nonsparse      \
             --paravirt       \
             --noreboot       \
             --file-size=4    \
             --ram=512        \
             --vcpus=1        \
             --name=$BASE-`date +%d%m%y`     \
             --file=$BASE-`date +%d%m%y`.img \
             --location=ftp://linuxsoft.cern.ch/scientific/47/i386/

I tried several --location values for ubunto (e.g. http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/lucid/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/xen/ )
but I'm always getting the following error:

Starting install...
ERROR    Could not find an installable distribution at 'http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/lucid/main/installer-amd64/current/images'

Can someone point me to the right direction? Clearly I'm missing something, probably virt-install only works for RH like. Also open to suggestions of installing domU's using other methods.
Thank you,
N.

-- ==============================================
Nuno Ricardo Santos Loureiro da Silva Ferreira

NMR Spectroscopy Research Group
Bijvoet Center for Biomolecular Research
Utrecht University
Bloembergen gebouw
Padualaan 8, 3584 CH Utrecht
The Netherlands