[Xen-users] Re: How to kown the DomU is up

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 02:00:10AM +0800, lei yang wrote:

>      I'm confused.. Are you trying to use the _same_ disk for the guest as
>      you use for dom0?
>      You can't do that.
>

>    my dom0 use /dev/sda1, can I use domU with  second partition /dev/sda2(may
>    be it correspond xvda2?)

Yes you can.

Or you can use a file in dom0 filesystem. Or you can create LVM volumegroup
and create an LVM volume for the guest.

>    if I can't use the second partition, hown do I use "an image file" , how
>    to produce a image file, and can I put it in /dev/sda1 to use

You can create an empty image file with "dd", for example, or with any another
normal unix/linux tool.

Usually the tool you use to install the guest OS can make guest image files for
you.

>    Actually, I don't know what does mean by "disk = ['phy:/dev/sda,xvda,w' ]"
>    can you explan it for me

It means use xen "phy:" driver for the guest virtual disk, which requires you
specify a 'physical' block device in dom0. The block device in question is
"/dev/sda",
and it's mapped to be "/dev/xvda" in the guest. "w" means it's in read/write
mode.

Another options is to use "file:" driver, which enables you to use image files
instead of block devices.

>    does virtual disk use the phy disk space in fact?

Depends how you set it up.

Also I recommend you to start the guest with "xm create -f /etc/xen/<guest> -c",
which opens up the guest terminal immediately and allows you to see the
guest kernel boot process with all the messages.

-- Pasi