[Xen-users] Another install xen on Ubuntu 10.04 question

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Tom Potwin <wxman2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 21:29:04 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 17 May 2010 18:30:32 -0700

Hello

I see from my searches that people have asked similar questions to this already. I read through them, and I've tried the steps on my test server. I have just a simple dual core AMD 64bit. I installed Ubuntu 10.04 server on it, using LVM's for some later design work. I want to set up dom0 and 4 domU's, but I can't get any version of xen to install.

As I said, I read the previous posts here, and a zillion posts about installing xen on other sites, but none of the step-by-steps seem to work with mine. One of the last ones I tried was the post here by Thiago Martins, and before that I followed http://bderzhavets.blogspot.com/2010/04/set-up-ubuntu-10.html. I always get to around:

make menuconfig # Enabled the dom0 support and the Xen backend as usual on Ubuntu 9.10, F12
make -j2
chmod g-s /usr/src -R
make deb-pkg
dpkg -i ../linux-image*2.6.32.10*.deb

Here it tells me that the files or directory doesn't exist. I also notice that a lot of errors show up after the make -j2, but it does finish. I know that I don't know enough yet about each of these steps, so I might be missing something that is assumed to be known. Before I did this reinstall of the server, I was using Ubuntu 8.04, and I had no trouble installing, and running xen there. I'm not even too concerned for which version of xen I try. Of course with 8.04 server, I just did an apt-get to install everything.

Could someone please take pity on me, and point me to a step-by step that might work; or possibly tell me what could be going wrong with what I've tried.

Thank you.