Re: [Xen-users] Openvswitch

>>> On 2010/05/19 at 07:16, "Jonathan Tripathy" <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Is Openvswitch, which is now in XCP and Xenserver, just a Xen-alternative to
> VMWare's fancy virtual switches?
>
> For example, can I create virtual switches and VLANs "inside" the Xen host?
>
> One thing that was nice about VMWare, was that you could create your "own
> world" inside the box, regarding network layout.

Yes, openvswitch is very similar to VMware's Cisco Nexus switch provided with
the enterprise-level versions of vSphere.  It allows you to create a full,
virtual switch inside your host, rather than relying on things like dom0 bridge
support to accomplish domU network access.  It has several advantages: remote
administration (ability to remotely configure your switch from a central
location), remote monitoring (sFlow/NetFlow support), port mirroring (useful
instead of monitoring all of the traffic on a bridge), and quite a bit more.
Additionally, openvswitch is an "openflow" switch, which means you can set up
an openflow controller machine (physical or domU) that will actually do all of
the traffic directing for your virtual network.

You can create your "own world" inside a box without openvswitch or Cisco
Nexus.  On Xen, you can create a local bridge that has no connectivity to a
physical ethernet interface, and connect your domUs to that bridge.  This gives
you an isolated network on which you can test stuff.  The same thing can be
done with VMware.  You don't need a virtual switch on either platform to
accomplish this.

-Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.