Re: [Xen-users] quick question about bonding with vlans and Xen

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 4:57 AM, Donny Brooks <dbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am looking to move my current Xen setup to one using all 4 available NICs
> in my server via bonding and/or VLAN access. Here is the specs:
>
> Dell Poweredge T710 w/ 4 integrate 1000MB NICs
> Cisco 4507R with 48 port gigabit switch module
> Xen 64-bit 3.4.2 with Centos 5.4 Dom0 64 bit
>
> I will preface with this: I have never delved into the bonding or vlan access
> with linux so bear with me here. What I would like to do is bond all 4 nics
> and have all my available VLANs accessible across that bond. I have found
> where to make the VLANs accessible via a network script similar to:
>
> DEVICE=eth0.30
> BOOTPROTO=STATIC
> IPADDR=10.111.32.23
> NETMASK=255.255.255.240
> VLAN=yes
> ONBOOT=yes

I'd actually recomend you :
- disable xen's network-bridge script altogether for your setup. This
will actually make your network setup easier. Comment-out
network-script line from /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp

- create a bond device. config file example,
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond0 :
DEVICE=bond0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none

- choose the correct bonding mode. See
/usr/share/doc/iputils-20020927/README.bonding for bonding modes.
Config file example, /etc/modprobe.d/bond0 :
alias bond0 bonding
options bond0 mode=balance-alb miimon=100

- assign some physical NIC to that bond, as many as you need. Config
file example for one device, /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth2
:
DEVICE=eth2
HWADDR=00:22:64:49:ce:0a
USERCTL=no
ONBOOT=yes
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes
BOOTPROTO=none

- create a bridge. Example, /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br9
DEVICE=br9
TYPE=Bridge
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes

- create vlans on top of the bond, and assign it to the bridge. Config
file example, /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond0.9
DEVICE=bond0.9
VLAN=yes
BRIDGE=br9
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet

- tell domUs to use "br9" as the bridge in their config file. Something like

vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3E:77:E5:D8, bridge=br9' ]

> But do I have to assign an IP to each "interface"? Would I need to designate
> one specific NIC to handle Dom0 and it's static IP or would Dom0 still be
> able to have a static IP with all 4 bonded together with vlans on them?

If you follow my setup above, dom0 will not have an IP address. Yet.
It will be similar to a L2 switch, where it passes lots of vlans, but
the switch itself does not need to have an IP address in those vlans.

For dom0 management, you can either:
- create a management vlan, and put dom0 IP address on that vlan
interface or the bridge. For example, if vlan9 in the example above is
the management vlan, you can put dom0 IP address settings on
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br9. This setup will be similar
to management IP setting on L2 switch, where the management vlan is
usually vlan1. Or,
- assign a dedicated NIC for dom0 management (eth0, or whatever device
you choose), give it it's own IP address, and do NOT assign it to the
bond.

--
Fajar