Re: [Xen-users] CentOS pv boot problems

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 9:22 AM, Ben C <ben@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> #-kernels from kernels-xen package
> # this is what i'm using to get the above error
> kernel = '/home/ben/kernels/centos/vmlinuz-2.6.18-164.15.1.el5xen';
> ramdisk = '/home/ben/kernels/centos/initrd-2.6.18-164.15.1.el5xen.img';

that by itself is not enough. There are several kernel arguments
necessary for Centos to boot, one of them is the location of root
device. If domU has its own /boot/grub/menu.lst (which should be the
case if you install it using boot images from
http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5/os/x86_64/images/xen/ or similar),
it's much easier to simply use pygrub. That way you don't have to
specify kernel, ramdisk, root, and args, but simply replace them with
"bootloader" line.

> # I tried this and xvda1 ... no go either
> #root="/dev/xvda"

What is the path to "/" when you run the installation? by default it
will use LVM, which makes root device something like
/dev/volgroup00/lv00.

> disk = [ 'file:/home/ben/fileback/server1.img,xvda1,w', ]

was the disk like this when you install it? Or did it previously use
"xvda", and now you change it to xvda1?

> With the generic kernel, I get this error:
>
> Error: (2, 'Invalid kernel', 'xc_dom_parse_elf_kernel: ELF image has no
> shstrtab\n')
>
> Which amazes me because I see reference after reference that these generic
> kernels are now "xen ready".  Maybe that's for newer versions of Xen?

more like newer versions of linux kernel. 2.6.18 generic kernel is not
Xen aware.

--
Fajar