[Xen-users] Re: Is there something missing for my NIC passthough?

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 03:30:17PM +0800, lei yang wrote:
>    On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <[1]pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
>      On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 03:16:20PM +0800, lei yang wrote:
>      >      >    lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
>      >      >    Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â  LOOPBACKÂ  MTU:16436Â  Metric:1
>      >      >    Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â  RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0
>      overruns:0
>      >      frame:0
>      >      >    Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â  TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0
>      overruns:0
>      >      carrier:0
>      >      >    Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â  collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>      >      >    Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â  RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)Â  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
>      >      >    [7]root@localhost:/root> lspci
>      >      >    [8]root@localhost:/root>
>      >      >    Â
>      >      >
>      >
>      >      Does your domU kernel have xen-pcifront driver? is it loaded?
>      >      that's required for PCI passthrough to PV guests.
>      >
>      >      Note that upstream ([1][2]kernel.org) kernels don't yet have
>      xen-pcifront
>      >      included.
>      >
>      >    My kernel is from [2][3]kernel.org the latest version, if I use
>      this version
>      >    to do my pci ehternet pci passthough
>      >    How can I do it?
>      >

>      So you're missing xen-pcifront (and swiotlb) support. That's your
>      problem.
>      [4]http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenPCIpassthrough
>
>      Instructions there about how to get a kernel with xen-pcifront and
>      swiotlb.
>
>    Thanks, I had saw this page, Unfortunately, that patch is just support
>    2.6.32 ore 2.6.33

Konrad (CC) is in the process of preparing xen-pcifront and swiotlb patches
for upstream Linux merge. Until the patches are merged you have to keep using
what you have, or forward-port the patches yourself to newer kernels.

It seems konrad has a port to 2.6.34-rc7 here:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/konrad/xen.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/pv/merge.2.6.34-rc7

He's been away for a vacation so maybe he'll update the tree to 2.6.34 final at
some point.

At the moment it makes sense to use 2.6.32 kernel for the domU since that's the
long-term maintained kernel for both kernel.org and xen.org. Jeremy's git tree
has xen-pcifront and swiotlb patches included in the xen/stable-2.6.32.x branch.

-- Pasi