Re: [Xen-users] RHEL6 beta vs. Xen

  • To: Nick Couchman <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Edson Marquezani Filho <edsonmarquezani@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 19:40:43 -0300
  • Cc: Steven Timm <timm@xxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 15:43:47 -0700

> RedHat has made it clear that they intend to shift away from Xen and toward
> KVM.  So, if you insist on using RHEL, be advised that you'll likely end up
> having a much easier time using KVM, as well.  If you don't mind using KVM,
> you should be okay.  I'm sure you can get Xen to run on RHEL6, but, if you
> want a Supported/Integrated build of Xen, you'll need to switch to one of the
> distributions that still packages and Supports Xen (Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo,
> SLES/SuSE, etc.).
>
> I doubt RedHat will actually put anything into their O/S to prevent you from
> using Xen, but they're definitely going to make it easier to use KVM (their
> product) on RHEL than Xen.
>
> -Nick

I've heard something about that sometime ago, and I remember hearing
that domU support will be kept by Red Hat, actualy, altough dom0
support won't. So, as far as we have a functional dom0 (whatever
distro we choose), we would be able to upgrade our domUs to RHEL6
without big problems.
So, that's what I intend to do, once I didn't know about that whole
thing about Red Hat and Xen by the time I chose RHEL as distro for a
Xen box, for one of my customers.