Re: [Xen-users] Convert HVM to PV

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> To convert an HVM install to PV, is it just as simple as creating a new
> config file, and use the "kernel" and "initrd" parameters to boot from a XEN
> kernel stored in the Dom0, and use the (ex) HVM's disk image in the "disk"
> parameter?
>
> Or is there something else I am missing?

Example for RHEL/Centos domU: http://pastebin.com/f6a5022bf

When using recent kernel with pv_ops enabled (like Ubuntu Lucid with
linux-image-server or linux-image-virtual), the process is actually
simpler, in that you don't need a different kernel. However you stil
need to:
- handle disk name changes. I usually get around that by using labels
or UUID in grub.conf and fstab
- handle console change. It doesn't matter as much if you use vfb
(since you'll have VNC-accesible GUI, same way as in HVM), but it'd
matter a lot if you only use text console. Upstart is actually
flexible enough in that it allows you to create an entry wihch detects
whether a particular console device works, and if so, spawn login
screen there.

--
Fajar