Re: [Xen-users] What is the best solution to virtualize WinServer2003...?

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 12:01 PM, amine amine <ammine007@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, I'm about to consolidate 5 WindowsServer2003, and I want to use an
> openSource Virtualisation product
>
> 1- Is it possible to paravirtualise WindowsServer2003 or not..?

No

> 2- Can I Full-Virtualize WindowsServer2003 with Processors(Without AMD-V or
> Intel-VT technology)...? using Xen, KVM or ESXi or whatever else FV
> solution...?

Not with Xen, KVM, or Hyper-V.
Possible with Vmware or Virtualbox, but only if it's 32bit x86.

> 3- Can I Full-Virtualize WindowsServer2003 with Itanium Processors...?

I assume you want to run Windows 2003 Itanium on top of plain x86
servers? Then no, it's not possible.

> 4- If so, What is the best FV product to use Xen, Kvm or ESXi...? is there a
> paper, a research, a Performance Benchmark of FV solutions out there...?

The million-dollar question :D
Some companies play lots of money to consultants for that. Depends on
who you ask, you'll get different answers. As for benchmark, try
http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/search/1,293876,sid94,00.html?query=benchmark&x=0&y=0
The fourth entry is quite interesting

> 5- I'm running SqlServer2005 and Exchangeserver on my Windows Server2003,
> How can I deal with this case...? Storage and Networking performance
> issues...?

Basic suggestions: install special disk/network drivers for whatever
solutions you use. For Xen, this will be either Citrix PV drivers or
GPLPV. For vmware/vitualbox, this will be thir "guest additions".
However, I/O-intensive server might not be the best one to virtualize.
Unless, of course, if you already know that those 5 servers are
lightly-used (only 10% utilization, for example).

--
Fajar