Re: [Xen-users] Force traffic out one interface

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 11:06 PM, Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that by using ebtables (in the Dom0) at the "link layer", I
> can force all traffic out via one interface. I believe that a "linux-bridge"
> acts just like a stupid "Hub" (Ah remember those days before switches were
> common?!).

Do you know of any way to "force" all traffic via one interface on a
"stupid hub" or a switch?

> So by only allowing traffic out via the interface which is
> connected to the firewall, traffic if forced to go out that way.

"allowing" is somewhat easier. Try "man iptables", look for
"--in-interface" and "--out-interface", and create the rules on
forward chain.
So in a sense, "blocking all inter domU traffic" is easy enough.
However, if you want to "redirect all inter domU traffice to an
external firewall", then it's won't be easy (if at all possible).

> Of course, this is just theory, so I'm asking here as someone else may have
> some experience.
>
> My backup plan, as you rightfully mention, is to just do the firewalling in
> the Dom0 itself. I'd just like to use a single external firewall for easy
> management.

Do you have a working solution to prevent physical hosts on the same
network from communicating with each other directly? If yes, adapting
it to Xen is easy, since in bridged mode Xen behaves similar to a
switch. Some colo provider does this by allocating small subnets (/30
or /29) on different vlans for each customer's server, effectively
forcing them to route all traffic via provider's router (at the cost
of many wasted IP addresses). This approach can be adapted easily
using many bridges (one for each vlan) on Xen. Another approach is the
one used by some DSL providers, forcing their users to use PPPoE.

--
Fajar