Re: [Xen-users] Promiscuous mode

Hi Jonathan,

keep in mind that others may still use ARP spoofing attacks, because your rules do not filter ARP packages. This will not allow hosts to receive packages of other hosts in that scenario, but it could still deny the communication of other hosts completely.

You won't have any promiscious interfaces if you use routing, btw.

Regards,
Felix

Am 14.06.2010 13:19, schrieb Mike Viau:
> Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:41:49 +0100 <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,

> In order to prevent DomU from entering promiscuous mode, is it just a matter of adding these 2 rules when the vif is created?

> # Accept packets leaving the bridge going to the domU only if
>   #  the destination IP for that packet matches an authorized IPv4
>   #  address for that domU.
>   iptables -A FORWARD -m physdev --physdev-out vif1.0 \
    --destination 216.146.46.43 -j ACCEPT

>   # Accept packets coming into the bridge leaving the physical
>   #  network interface peth0 only if the source IP for that packet
>   #  matches an authorized IPv4 address for that domU.
>   iptables -A FORWARD -m physdev --physdev-in vif1.0 \
>     --physdev-out peth0 --source 216.146.46.43 -j ACCEPT
> I got the above from http://www.standingonthebrink.com/index.php/ipv6-ipv4-and-arp-on-xen-for-vps/
> Does that provide total protection? What about if traffic was going from Dom1 to Dom3, could Dom2 snoop in?
> Thanks

I would think so, provided the rules above filter all traffic expect to/from a specific ip. Therefore if all domU are on separate ip networks the traffic should be on completely different networks too.

Look 'em in the eye: FREE Messenger video chat Chat Now!