[Xen-users] Network stalls

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: David Diaz i Torrico <ddiaz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 17:34:11 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 08:35:19 -0700

Hello,

I recently set a new server (a HP Proliant with 2 Quad Xeon 2GHz and 8GB RAM),
with a Slackware 13 64Bits, where I installed Xen 4.0, with the kernel
2.6.31.13 (the same for dom0 and for domU), and I set up a virtual mail server
from which several people retrieve its mail.

When i try to download big files or retrieve big mails from that server, it
often start to slow down to 4-5Kb/s untill it finally stalls after some minutes
of normal download (800-500Kb/s), it doesn't happen nor in the same point of
download, nor to the same users/computers. A user can try to download a mail,
for example, 20 times without any success at all and then suddenly it starts
to download correctly, and it seems to rarely happen with small mails.

I tried to deactivate the ethernet checksuming, as I've seen to solve the
problem in former versions, but it gives me an error getting the rx value:
# ethtool -k eth0
Offload parameters for eth0:
Cannot get device rx csum settings: Operation not supported
rx-checksumming: off
tx-checksumming: off

By the way, my dmesg has a bunch of these errors:
"Attempting to checksum a non-TCP/UDP packet, dropping a protocol 1 packet"
I'm not sure if this is also a related problem or not.

Now I don't have any clue about what or where to look, so, any ideas?