Re: Fwd: [Xen-users] differencing disks

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alex Edwards <edwards.alex@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 11:05:30 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 03:19:01 -0700

Yeah thanks Bart thats what im after. Would i be potentially be able to run running1.img and running2.img at the same time? And i can build something in that will prevent it from trying to start an img thats being copied but i dont forsee it being that unstable that it breaks that often.

thankyou very much
Alex

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Bart Coninckx <bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Friday 09 July 2010 10:42:41 Alex Edwards wrote:
> [...]

Forget about my remark about the root file system and the RAID1, was thinking
of a physical machine. For Xen, I would do it like this:

- create a master image file
- copy this to in three versions: orginal.img, running1.img and running2.img
- boot the Xen machine with running1.img, have people change stuff
- stop the Xen machine, change the image file in the Xen config to
running2.img
- start the machine again
- copy orginal.img to running1.img
- stop the machine, change config to running1.img
- copy orginal.img to running2.img
- repeat ...

scripted this will only take you seconds. It does suppose however that the
guests are running long anough to have the original image copied in
background.

B.