[Xen-users] Guest domain performance collection

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Andrew Armstrong" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 11:36:57 +1000
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 18:38:17 -0700

Hello,

I have been investigating ways in collecting performance statistics of Guest domains running under Xen.

1) I am interested in finding out whether there is a way to obtain the current memory usage (not the amount allocated) for each guest domain?

Xentop and other utilities display the amount of memory/RAM allocated to a domain, but not the amount of memory in use that you would see via Windows Task Manager for example.

I assume the RAM in use value is impossible to obtain from Xen, because Xen does not know how much memory the Windows/Linux domain is actually consuming.

2) I am currently using ntfsresize to obtain the amount of disk space in use for a guest domain, however if the Windows guest is writing to the disk at the time this collection fails with a consistency error (a re-try a few moments later will usually succeed).

Is there a more suitable way to obtain disk space in use information of a Windows guest?

Cheers,

Andrew